Lets face it Berry Coconut Quinoa Porridge is way yummier than quinoa porridge by itself! While I love quinoa flakes nutritional properties (half protein, half complex carbs), the flavour profile is definitely on the bland side. The addition of mixed berries and vanilla lightens the profile and adds much needed freshness to a warm favourite. I promise you’ll be able to swap from oats to this one!
GLUTEN FREE | PALEO | WHOLE FOOD | ANTI INFLAMMATORY | DAIRY FREE | REFINED SUAGR FREE OPTION
BERRY COCONUT QUINOA PORRIDGE
1 cup quinoa flakes *
2 cups almond or nut milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 teaspoon rice malt syrup (or honey), optional
1 cup strawberries
1 cup raspberries
1 cup blueberries
2 tablespoons nut butter of choice
1/2 cup sliced toasted almonds
fresh mint leaves
handful pomegranate seeds
juice of 1/2 lemon
- In a small saucepan bring milk of choice to the boil. Stir in quinoa flakes, vanilla essence, rice malt syrup then remove from the heat.
- Let quinoa and milk mix stand for 3 minutes.
- Stir in fresh berries, toasted almonds and nut butter. Taste and adjust sweetness as required.
- Spoon into serving bowls and top with fresh mint leaves, pomegranate seeds and a squeeze of lemon juice.
* Alternatively you can use quinoa seeds instead of flakes, follow the packet instructions on how to cook the quinoa.
* Frozen berries work well in this recipe if fresh are unavailable. Just add them when the milk comes to the boil along with the quinoa flakes.